Years : 1927 (Showa 2)
Structure : Reinforced concrete Three-storey building
Building area : 374sqm
Registration year : 2021
Formerly Second Building of the Faculty of Law and Literature at Tohoku Imperial University was build to form a courtyard with 3 other buildings (Lecture rooms and 2 research buildings (former Second Senior High School buildings) of the Faculty of Law and Literature at Tohoku Imperial University).
The fasade is facing to south with pen-like accent volume in center. And this architecture has rectangle plan with middle corridor. Both side of corridor, there were offices of faculty and so on.
In Pacific War (World War 2), some room on the 3rd floor was damaged by air raid, but fortunately, it escaped from a spread of fire.
In 1949 (Showa 24), wooden extentional space was built on the rooftop, and was removed in 1981 (Showa 56). After the moving of Faculty of Arts and Letters, Faculty of Law, Faculty of Economic, and Faculty of Education to Kawauchi campus in 1970's, this architecture was used as administration office, international students center, and so on. Now it is used as Accounting School Research Building.
with extension building
with courtyard 1965 (Showa 40)
The entrance lighting was reconstructed and donated by citizen group " The Katahira Campus Modern Architecture Trust Fund" in 2003 (Heisei 15).
It is important as only one remaining architecture of Tohoku Imperial University Faculty of Law and Literature.
reconstructed entrance lighting
stonework at entrance